Sunday, January 27, 2013

Korean Braised Short Ribs

* Slow-Cooker * Weekend Winner*

I have been having a love affair with Korean-style short ribs ever since my neighbor introduced me to the cut a few months ago (see Grilled Korean Short Ribs). I was begging my husband to grill them almost every weekend until he finally rebelled, forcing me to find a way to create the tantalizing taste without the grill. Then the helpful man actually helped in his own demise – he bought Slow Cooker Revolution for me. Lo and behold, inside was a recipe for slow-cooked Korean Braised Short Ribs. And he doesn’t understand why I mock him so often. (Nothing but love baby, nothing but love!)

I almost drooled while reading the recipe, which is usually enough to get me to make something. The addition of pears and microwave-browned bones piqued my curiosity so much I decided to make it immediately. I can’t recommend this recipe more; it’s packed with depths of flavor and is the perfect, hearty winter meal. Make it for people you love – the rest of them don’t deserve it!

Korean Braised Short Ribs
Courtesy of America’s Test Kitchen’s Slow Cooker Revolution
Serves 4

2.5 lbs bone-in English-style short ribs, meat and bones separated
1 pear, peeled, cored, and chopped coarsely
½ cup soy sauce
6 garlic cloves, minced
3 scallions, sliced thin
4 tsp minced or grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp instant tapioca
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp minced, fresh cilantro

Arrange beef bones in a dish and microwave until well-browned, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.

Process pear, soy sauce, garlic, scallions, ginger and vinegar in food processor until smooth, about 1 minute, then transfer to slow cooker. Stir in broth and tapioca.

Season short ribs with salt and pepper and nestle in slow cooker. Cover and cook until tender, 9-11 hours on low, or 5-7 hours on high.

Transfer short ribs to serving platter and tent loosely with foil. Let braising liquid settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using a large spoon. Remove bones and season sauce with salt/pepper to taste. Stir in cilantro. Spoon sauce over ribs and serve.



For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment