Sunday, November 25, 2012

Szechuan Green Beans with Ground Pork

So, I am still at my parent's house and we are still eating turkey. I have started stomping my foot, screaming and otherwise rebelling. My parents finally glowered at me and announced I could order some Chinese food if I wasn’t going to cooperate in the “we are finishing this 22-lb turkey in 3 days” fest. But why order in when you can make something equally as delicious and healthier for half the money?

Szechuan Green Beans with Ground Pork
Courtesy of Cooking Light April 2006

½ lb lean ground pork
1 tsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground white pepper
1 tsp peanut oil
2½ cups (1-inch) cut green beans
1 tsp minced fresh garlic
2 tbsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce (Reader, you must use low-sodium or it will be inedible. Trust me, we tried it!)
 2 cups hot cooked white (or brown) rice

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork mixture, beans, and garlic; cook 3 minutes or until pork loses its pink color, stirring to crumble.



Combine hoisin and next 3 ingredients (through soy sauce) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add hoisin mixture to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Serve over rice.



For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment