Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Broccoli Gratin

* Healthy * Weeknight Winner *

If you have young kids and/or a picky husband, you understand that getting them to eat their vegetables can be an adventure. I consider it a coup if I serve a moderately healthy recipe that they will both eat. I consider it parade worthy if they fight over their vegetables, threatening to stab each other with their forks if the other continues to pilfer their greens.

I would usually urge you to use fresh produce, but this girl only had a bag of frozen broccoli florets on hand. I simmered them until they were a little bit underdone and then proceeded as directed. And you really couldn’t tell any difference. So this time, I’d say go ahead and use frozen.

However, do not (the bold, underlined italics is my imploring voice) use store-bought bread crumbs! They taste like arse. I always store the heel of baguettes, boules, etc. in a Ziploc in the freezer. They take a few minutes to thaw and then you can blitz them in a food processor faster than you can say, “These taste much better than sawdust!”

Follow the link for the Broccoli Gratin recipe, courtesy of Food Network Kitchens!

And behold my beautiful picture! Makes you want to cook it right now, doesn't it?

Broccoli Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment