Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cold-Oven Pound Cake

Courtesy of Taste of the South Magazine

I try to be healthy. I really do. But occasionally I’ll stumble upon a deeply-buried recipe like this one and just have to make it immediately. I’m sitting here writing this to keep myself from sticking my face in the oven again to inhale the tantalizing aroma. The cake will never cook at the rate I’m going. You’ll notice this cake is made from shortening – no butter is involved. But don’t cry, dear reader, I’ll soon be making another pound cake laden with 3 sticks of butter and cream cheese. Rejoice [and locate the closest defibrillator]!

Cold-Oven Pound Cake
Courtesy of Taste of the South Magazine

1¼ cups all-vegetable shortening
3 cups sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Garnish: confectioners’ sugar, sweetened whipped cream, fresh raspberries

Spray a 12- to 15-cup Bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat shortening and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to shortening mixture in 3 parts, alternating with milk and beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix thoroughly, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary. Add vanilla, mixing well. Lick spatula clean and try to deny you want to dive into this bowl head first. I dare you.



Pour batter into prepared pan. Lick beater. Place pan in a cold oven. Bake at 325˚ until a wooden pick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean, approximately 1 hour 15 minutes. Don’t worry if the bottom looks crusty and browned, that’s the best part (as my husband, who ate all of it, will attest to)!



Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack, and let cool completely. Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with sweetened whipped cream and raspberries. If you’re watching your weight like I am, I strongly suggest cutting one (1!!!) piece for you and any loved ones. Then quickly bring the rest to your neighbors, instructing them to either eat it immediately or hide it in case you bang on their door around midnight.


For a printable version of this recipe, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment